- 1982-1988 Studies of German an History at the Justus-Liebig University of Giessen
- 1989-1990 Professorial Lecturer for German Language and Literature at the George-Washington University/D.C.
- 1994 Ph.D. in German Literature at the Justus Liebig University of Giessen (Fanny Lewald: Jewish, Prussian and Female Writer: Studies covering her Autobiography and Context)
- 1999 Max-Kade-Professorship at Colorado College/C.O.
- 2001-2010 Full Professor of Modern German Literature and Didactics at the University of Education in Ludwigsburg
- since 2010 Full Professor of Modern German Literature/Educational and Application-Oriented Studies
Research: Reading Education, Children's and Youth Media Studies, Children and Youth Literature, Intercultural Literature and Media Studies, Gender and Diversity, Literature and Film
- The Digital Literacy and Multimodal Practices of Young Children (EU-Project COST IS1410), MC Member
- Experts of Reading - Primary and Secondary School Teachers Training (Part of the National BISS-Project, BMBF)
- Smarter Stories - Reading and Media Education in Urban Education Networks (the City of Dortmund, Society of Media Education Research)
- DoProfiL: Dortmund profile for inclusive teachers education Part: Tablets in primary school.
- DEGREE 4.0: Digitale reflexive teachers education 4.0: based on video - barrier-free - personalized (BMBF 16DHB2130)